[Csync2] Re: Building csync2-1.29 on Fedora Core

Clifford Wolf clifford at clifford.at
Wed Jan 11 16:18:50 CET 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 09:30:35AM +1000, Michael Mansour wrote:
> You seem to be asking me to pay for helping fix csync2 v1.29 and RHEL4 Update
> 2 issues? [..]

No. My company is offering you (and everyone else) to have a deeper look
into the problem, if it is important enough for you to spend money on it.

The reason for this is that I have lost interest and motivation for looking
into this particular problem because I'm pretty sure that it is a bug in
your distribution. So the only clean solution would be to fix the
distribution, but I can't do that since I'm not the distributor.

The only thing I could do in csync2 is _working_around_ that problem. And
it looks like that would be hackish, ungly and technically the wrong thing
to do (the right thing would be to kick the distributor so he is fixing the
distribution).

Usually such conceptionally breaindead workaround-fixes are only found in
the world of proprietary software. And they are not funny to write and less
funny to maintain. So I'm not doing it for free..

> I wonder, do you still wish to receive csync2 bug reports/suggestions on
> improvements?

sure.
but I'm afraid I can't help you with this particular bug report atm.

yours,
 - clifford

--
 _  _       _      Nerds on Air - Radio for Geeks      _  __     ___
| \| |___  /_\   On 1st and 3rd Friday of the month   / |/ /__  / _ |

"The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance."
 - Robert R. Coveyou, Oak Ridge National Laboratory.